Croquette Plantain served with Salt Fish and a Pepper Puree
- 1 ripe plantain
- 250g of water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500g plain flour
- 1 tbsp of cornflour
- 1 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons of cornflour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- salt fish, soaked
- scotch bonnet, blended
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup plus 1 T. water, 1 T. beaten egg, and oil.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and combine until mixed.
- Chop the plantain length ways along the centre. Further cut them width ways to six or eight pieces.
- Bring the deep fryer to the heat.
- Once the oil is at a high heat, dip the plantain into the batter and carefully drop it into the fryer.
- Cook until golden brown then place on a kitchen towel to absorb any excess oil.
- For the salt fish, ensure you soak them in water. You can grill or pan-fry them then serve.
- For the pepper puree, blend the scotch bonnet and serve.You may want to opt for Siracha Sauce also.